Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3, 2011: Doreen's The Open Sea Card

Pin It Now!
This was my favorite from the demo-only swap...it checks some of my favorite boxes. Vintage? Check! Nautical? Check! This one is a little tougher, but let's see if I can make some guesses as to what she used. :)

The base is Not Quite Navy, and the top layer with the amazing textured wood grain is Sahara Sand. The wood grain comes from the Textured Plates Kit #4 run through the Big Shot using a Texturz Impressing Pad. I love how the detail really pops when sponged with Soft Suede!

The red is Cherry Cobbler, one of my favorites. It just seems to lend itself so well to the vintage look! The lovely clipper, sailor's log and anchor from The Open Sea are stamped in Early Espresso. Don't you love the little touch of the Early Espresso Baker's Twine on the anchor? So nautical! The anchor is cut out, popped up on dimensionals and matted on a punchie from the Wide Oval Punch. The sentiment comes from Thank You Kindly.

I love the detail on the central image - it's distressed with the Cutter Kit, then the corner layers are separate and individually curled. So cool!

I experimented a bit to try to get this same sponged look, and I *think* what Doreen did is sponged on Soft Suede and then added a but more depth with Early Espresso. As a crowning touch, she used the Color Spritzer Tool and an Early Espresso Stampin' Write Marker to add the tiny distressed dots. Distressing and aging with inks is so hot right now.

I love, love, love this card! Every detail is perfection. Thanks, Doreen!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...