Saturday, December 4, 2010

December 4, 2010: Simplicity OLW31 & an Offer

Pin It Now!
DON'T FORGET ABOUT MY BLOG CANDY! And remember, your name MUST appear on the follower list to be entered. :)

This week on the Simplicity blog, the challenge was to go back to what started you stamping (in a one layer card, of course). Oddly enough, what started me stamping WAS a one layer card quite similar to this one.

I was a scrapbooker for a couple years before I started stamping. I made handmade gifts every year for Christmas, and that year I was making crockpot apple butter and canning it in small jars. I wanted a small manila tag with brown leaf on it as a gift tag for each jar. I could not seem to find what I wanted to buy, and the cashier at Michaels asked me why I didn't just buy the rubber stamp and stamp it myself. Accordingly, I bought the stamp and stamped my own tags.

The results were quite disappointing, actually. I didn't know it at the time, but I bought the wrong ink (cheap, pigment pad that NEVER seemed to dry so it smeared easily and didn't seem to have a lot of color in it), and pressed too hard with too soft a surface so I had all those ugly, inky marks from the edge of the pad. I also didn't know you had to clean the stamp; before long, the stamp was both full of old ink AND hard as a rock. I had to stamp three times as many tags as I needed, and in the end I decided stamping was NOT for me and I toddled back to scrapbooking.

Several months later, Jeff needed a card for an elderly friend and asked me if I would hand make one. He said I already had "all the paper stuff"; why couldn't I make a card? Embarrassed to admit that I didn't actually know how to make a card (beyond the folded construction paper number with which you plague your parents at a young age), I surfed You Tube for inspiration and found Dawn Griffith's waterfall card and made that. Later, it occurred to me that Dawn made some pretty good videos...but they were mostly about stamping and clearly I was not a stamper. Still, curiosity got the better of me and I watched every one of her videos and many others, thereby learning about stamping, stamp care, proper stamp technique, proper products to purchase and most of all, how fun it could be.

One of the stamps I saw first was SU's Lovely as a Tree (which you can still order from me!). It is the most versatile stamp set I have...I've used it for every occasion known to man. Weddings, funerals, get well soon, birthdays, etc, etc, etc. I really believe, if you own only one SU set, this is IT. It's a must have.

Anyway, now that I have likely bored you all to tears , here are the ink colors: Pink Pirouette, Night of Navy, Mellow Moss (retired) and Marina Mist. The sentiment and trees are stamped in Black Stazon, which allows you to do all the sponging without smearing. The cardstock is my favorite Very Vanilla. Oh, and the sentiment is also current SU - Sincere Salutations. It's the second must have from SU. If you have Lovely as a Tree and Sincere Salutations, you really are set as a cardmaker.

So firmly do I believe in this (and as a thanks to reading the whole way through my rambling post), that if you order either Sincere Salutations or Lovely as a Tree from me, I'll pay your tax and shipping no matter the order size!! If you want to take advantage of this deal, you MUST E-MAIL ME at kovash001@hotmail.com. If you order from my online web page at Stampin Up, they will charge you tax and shipping. :) I will order it for you and then mail it to you. And yes, I take Paypal. :)

Stay tuned - I've been working on ribbon and supply shares and will have all the info posted tomorrow. If you want the opportunity to get a lot of different supplies from SU for a fraction of the cost by sharing the goodies with other stampers, shares are an amazing opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...