Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 17, 2010: In Memory

Pin It Now! This was one of the toughest cards I've had to make. It's a sympathy card for one of our family friends who recently passed away after a long battle with cancer. Phil was a fellow pilot of my Dad's, and not long ago they co-owned an airplane, which you can see in the photo. Dad used to come and get me in that plane - a Piper Comanche - on when I was in college and fly me home for weekends. I've always been one to get very attached to mechanical friends, and I miss the Comanche a lot. She was one of the most elegant planes I've ever been in - true 1950s era luxury. I love Dad's current plane - a Cessna 150 - but I
really miss the Comanche. :)

For Phil's card I really wanted to use my Piper Cub stamp. It's very hard to find rubber stamps of realistic airplanes, but I was fortunate to snag this one on ebay a while back. It's made by a rubber stamp company in Anchorage, Alaska and they don't sell online - just at their storefront, so it is hard to get their stamps in the "lower 48" as it's called. Dad has owned a couple Cubs in the past, so it's a special stamp.

After I hand chalked the sky background I stamped the Cub in black Staz-On and stamped in the tree image from Stampin Up's Lovely as a Tree. I then very lightly chalked the Cub in yellow (it doesn't really show in the photo, though). Dad always said yellow was a very Cub color. The Memories sentiment is Fiskars and the punch is EK Success.

This past week was heavy on losses - first our family friend and then my beloved Norwegian Fjord, Two Rivers Olaf passed away from cardiac arrest. He was 26 and I had owned him since I was 13. I feel as if there is a massive hole in my heart that nothing seems to fill. :(



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...